We’ve run the numbers and these are the top articles on Colossal in 2012. This list is not meant as a ranking of what we think is the “best,” but are rather a gauge of overall interest around the web based on traffic.
1. This is What Happens When You Give Thousands of Stickers to Thousands of KidsJanuary 1, 2012
Yayoi Kusama’s legendary installation, Obliteration Room, where thousands of children were given stickers and unbridled freedom in a stark white room.
2. Riusuke Fukahori Paints Three-Dimensional Goldfish Embedded in Layers of ResinJanuary 9, 2012
Magnificent pools of three-dimensional goldfish painted layer-by-layer in resin by Riusuke Fukahori.
3. A Cathedral Made from 55,000 LED LightsJanuary 31, 2012
Towering 28 meters high, the Luminarie De Cagna was the centerpiece at the 2012 Light Festival in Ghent, Belgium.
4. Rashad Alakbarov Paints with Shadows and LightJanuary 20, 2012
Artist Rashad Alakbarov from Azerbaijan uses suspended translucent objects and other found materials to create light and shadow paintings on walls.
5. A Canopy of Colorful Umbrellas Spotted in PortugalAugust 1, 2012
Almost nothing is known about the artist behind the project or its significance, but it’s impossible to deny the joy caused by taking a stroll in the shadowy rainbow created by hundreds of parasols suspended over this public walkway.
6. Gravity Defying Land Art by Cornelia KonradsApril 24, 2012
Cornelia Konrads creates mind-bending installations in public spaces, frequently punctuated by the illusion of weightlessness.
7. This is Not a Photograph: Amazing Portrait Drawn with Ballpoint Pens by Samuel SilvaAugust 22, 2012
29-year-old Portugal-based attorney Samuel Silva drew this amazing portrait with standard Bic ballpoint pens.
8. Gorgeous Bird Paintings by Adam S. DoyleSeptember 11, 2012
Artist Adam S. Doyle creates these beautiful gestural paintings of birds. Seemingly incomplete brushstrokes form the remarkably vivid feathers and details of the animal.
9. Hilariously Ferocious Underwater DogsFebruary 10, 2012
Photographer Seth Casteel used a high speed camera to capture these underwater photographs of dogs playing, fetching, and swimming. The underwater currents mixed with the high speed camera to transform these lovable pups into truly savage beasts.
10. Mysterious Underwater ‘Crop Circles’ Discovered Off the Coast of JapanSeptember 19, 2012
These mysterious geometric designs were discovered beneath almost 80 feet of water near Amami Oshima, Japan by photographer Yoji Ookata. Shortly after the discovery, Ookata returned with a television crew in search of the origins of what he dubbed the “mystery circle.”
11. Gale-Force Winds Directly to the FaceMay 16, 2012
Lithuanian photographer Tadao Cern’s Blow Job series depicts individuals enduring gale-force winds directly to the face.
12. New Carved Book Landscapes by Guy LaraméeJune 12, 2012
More incredible landscapes carved from the pages of old books by artist Guy Laramee.
13. Tauba Auerbach’s RGB Colorspace Atlas Depicts Every Color ImaginableSeptember 6, 2012
New York-based artist Tauba Auerbach’s RGB Colorspace Atlast is a massive tome containing digital offset prints of every variation of RGB color possible.
14. Remarkable Portraits Made with a Single Sewing Thread Wrapped through Nails by Kumi YamashitaJune 12, 2012
New York-based artist Kumi Yamashita winds a single unbroken black thread through a dense array of nails mounted on a painted white board to create these incredible portraits.
15. Rainbow Toy Car Installation Made from 2,500 CarsDecember 22, 2012
UK artist David T. Waller used 2,500 toy cars to create this beautiful installation, Toy Atlas Rainbow.
16. Floral X-Rays by Brendan FitzpatrickFebruary 27, 2012
Photographer Brendan Fitzpatrick worked with a Singapore radiography lab to achieve these stunning x-ray images.
17. Giant Fish Sculptures Made from Discarded Plastic Bottles in RioJune 21, 2012
Constructed using discarded bottles as a part of the UN Conference on Sustainable Development, these giant fish sculptures are located on Botafogo Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
18. Macro Photographs of Dew-Covered Dragonflies and Other Insects by David ChambonSeptember 18, 2012
This phenomenal series of photographs featuring insects covered in tiny water droplets was created by David Chambon.
19. The Surreal Forests of RomaniaJune 27, 2012
Brothers Andrei and Sergiu Cosma of PhotoCosma captured these ethereal photos of the mist-filled forests of Romania.
20. Bloom: 28,000 Potted Flowers Installed at the Massachusetts Mental Health CenterMarch 12, 2012
When the Massachusetts Mental Health Center was slated for demolition in 2003 the question of how best to memorialize a building that had been the site of so much hope as well as sadness had to be answered. Working within a strict budget and a very limited timeline, artist Anna Schuleit achieved this stunning installation. 28,000 flowers filled nearly every square foot of the building, bringing life and color to the drab interior.